(This article appeared in the Summer 2020 issue of Pastry Arts Magazine)
Bakery 28’s mission is to be a profitable company from making and selling baked goods with exceptional taste, presentation, quality and service, while using environmentally safe practices. Bakery 28 sources ingredients from local farmers and a local coffee roaster and uses organic, sustainable and/or fair-trade ingredients when possible.
1. Classic Mille Feuille (they sell before they hit the showcase!)
2. My extensive menu of over 20 French macarons
3. The Oatmeal Cookie Sandwich
4. Dessert Waffles, made-to-order
5. My VEGAN Almond Croissant (….yes, I said vegan and it IS amazing)
Secrets of success:
1. Make/Do What I Love: During my three-year break from the food industry, I decided to do what moved me, which was play my violin. I ended up playing for the Lake Norman Orchestra and through this, I learned that doing what I love creates an inner peace, confidence and belief that all things are possible. This translated into pastry, because when I love a recipe it shows in the final product: the taste, the presentation and the enthusiasm to sell it.
2. Be Authentic: Putting an Oatmeal Cookie Sandwich on my menu seemed to be a bold (and vulnerable) move, but it has proved that the combination of nostalgia, a damn good oatmeal cookie recipe and trust in myself equaled something people now crave.
3. Successful Marriage: Having my husband as my biggest fan has proved to be an important ingredient in this whole mix. He believes in me, makes me laugh after a 12-hour day and is always willing to try what I make. Although his background is not in food industry, he has learned to make a pretty mean cappuccino!
Shop’s best features:
The contemporary bold contrast of the dark blue walls and white accents and five huge showcases.
Visit https://www.bakery28.com/ for more info.