(This recipe appeared in the Summer 2022 issue of Pastry Arts Magazine)
This dessert will bring you a piece of summer. Here, fresh mango and passion fruit combine in a wonderfully creamy passion diplomat and fresh mango gel center. A perfectly crunchy sablé base and top add the perfect textural contrast to this smooth, mouth-watering dessert.
Yield: 24 servings
- 120 g unsalted butter, softened
- 90 g granulated sugar
- 250 g graham wholemeal flour
- 2 g salt
- 60 g whole egg
- Whisk the butter and sugar together. Add the flour and salt, stirring as little as possible. Add the egg to the mixture, stirring a little. Finish the dough by hand.
- Roll the dough between two perforated silicone mats until 2mm thick. Freeze the dough.
- When the dough is frozen, remove the mats on both sides and cut out rounds with a 3.15ʺ (8 cm) diameter ring mold. Put on a silicone mat and bake at 300˚F (150˚C) for about 18 minutes.
- 220 g mango purée
- 400 g granulated sugar
- 200 g water
- 12 g agar agar
- Mix all the ingredients together. Put in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Run the coagulated mass into a gel in a blender. Vacuum the air out. Pipe a diameter of 1.5ʺ (4 cm) into a half sphere mold. Freeze.
- 340 g granulated sugar
- 60 g water
- 300 g passion purée
- 40 g unsalted butter
- 80 g cornstarch
- 80 g egg yolks
- 280 g heavy cream 36%
- Put the sugar, water, purée, and butter in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Pour over the cornstarch and stir until smooth. Add the yolks and cook to 183˚F (84˚C). Strain and allow to cool.
- Break the structure of the cooled curd with a whisk. Whip the cream to soft peaks and fold into the curd. Pipe into Silicomart #sf206 Add frozen Mango Gel Insert to the center. Freeze.
- 375 g heavy cream, divided
- 4 g vanilla bean
- 15 g glucose 40de
- 14 g invert sugar
- 50 g Valrhona Ivoire 35%
- 18 g cocoa butter
- In a saucepan, bring 150 g of the cream, vanilla, glucose and invert sugar to a boil.
- Melt the chocolate with the cocoa butter and emulsify it with warm vanilla cream. Finish the emulsion with immersion blender. Mix the remaining 225 g cream in and allow to crystallize in the refrigerator overnight.
- Whip just until lightened.
- 600 g Valrhona Passion Fruit Inspiration
- 300 g cocoa butter
- 100 g cashews, crushed
- Melt the chocolate and cocoa butter together and add to the cashew nuts.
- Fresh mango cubes
- Dark chocolate sticks
- Gold leaf
- Dip the frozen Passion Diplomat in the Passion Dip.
- Put a Digestive Sablé under the dessert and on top of it.
- Pipe beautifully foamed Vanilla Ganache around the edge of the sable on top. Arrange mango cubes in the center. Garnish with chocolate sticks and gold leaf.
About Juliana Hokkanen
Juliana Hokkanen is a pastry chef, WordSkills Coach and teacher of Pastry Science at Etelä-Savo Vocational College in Mikkeli, Finland. Her signature style is minimalist and clear. She wants everything – flavors and appearance – to be balanced.