(This article appeared in the Fall 2021 issue of Pastry Arts Magazine)
Pairing various ingredients with chocolate opens up a world of exponential flavor.
The three layers of this bouchée come to life through its unique combination of ingredients. The warm chocolate and spice notes of Guittard’s 64% Cacao L’ Etoile du Nord, and the subtle caramel notes of the 38% Cacao Soleil D’Or milk chocolate harmonize with the bold flavor of the Boiron Cassis (blackcurrant) Purée, giving this triple-layer confection a bright and bold finish.
Yield: forty-five 1.6ʺ (41 mm) confections
Cassis Pâte de Fruit
- 220 g granulated sugar, divided
- 7 g yellow pectin
- 85 g glucose powder
- 250 g Boiron Cassis Purée
- 62 g apple juice
- 57 g glucose syrup
- 6 g citric acid solution, 1:1
- Combine 30 g of the granulated sugar with the pectin, mixing very well. Set aside.
- Combine the remaining 190 g granulated sugar with the glucose powder and set aside.
- Combine the Boiron Cassis Purée with the apple juice. Warm the mixture, sprinkle in pectin mixture and whisk well. Bring the mixture to a boil, add sugar-glucose mixture, whisk, and return to a boil. Cook to 225˚F (107°C), then whisk in citric acid solution.
- Cast the mixture into 1/8” thick frame and allow to cool. When cool, cut circles to fit bonbon cavities.
- 7 g gelatin sheets
- 28 g water
- 7 g lemon juice
- 70 g trimoline, divided
- 57 g cassis purée
- 13.5 g apple juice
- 100 g granulated sugar
- 1.75 g citric acid solution, 1:1
- Bloom the gelatin with the water and lemon juice.
- Once the gelatin is bloomed, place it in a 5-qt mixing bowl with 35 g of the trimoline. Set aside.
- Combine the cassis purée, apple juice, sugar, citric acid solution and the remaining 35 g trimoline and cook to 230˚F (110˚C). Add to the gelatin mixture in the mixing bowl and, using the whisk attachment, whip on high speed. When volume is achieved, switch to medium speed until mixture reaches 86˚F (30°C). Remove from mixer and pipe into precast chocolate shells, filling them 1/3 full. Press disc of pâte de fruit into the marshmallow layer.
- 77 g Boiron Cassis Purée
- 1 g citric acid powder
- 45 g heavy cream
- 10 g granulated sugar
- 14 g powdered glucose
- 93 g Guittard 64% L’ Etoile du Nord dark chocolate
- 24 g Guittard 38% Soleil D’ Or milk chocolate
- 10 g unsalted butter, room temperature
- Combine the Boiron Cassis Purée, the citric acid powder, heavy cream, sugar and powdered glucose. Heat to a simmer. Pour over the chocolate; allow to rest for 2 minutes. Stir to emulsify.
- At 100˚F (38°C), add the room temperature butter and emulsify well with an immersion blender. At 90˚F (32°C), cast into the marshmallow filled shell, leaving room for a final cap.
* Photos by Audrey Ma