A graduate of Harvard College with a degree in Applied Mathematics and Economics, Joanne Chang left a career as a management consultant to enter the world of professional cooking. She is the chef and co-owner of Flour Bakery + Café, with eight locations in the Boston area, and Myers + Chang. She is the 2016 winner of the James Beard award for Outstanding Baker and the author of four acclaimed cookbooks, including her newest, Pastry Love (HMH, 2019).
In this episode, you’ll discover:
- What prompted Joanne to leave a career as a management consultant to work in a kitchen
- How she landed her first restaurant job at Biba in Boston
- Getting a foundation in pastry at Bentonwood Bakery
- Working on the opening team at Payard Patisserie in NYC for a year
- Becoming pastry chef at Mistral in Boston
- How she came to open her first Flour Bakery + Cafe
- Her new book, Pastry Love, and which recipes you absolutely, positively need to make
- And lots more!
Listen & subscribe to Pastry Arts Podcast on: