After more than 10 years as an international model, Chef Clarice Lam stepped off the runway and into New York City’s best kitchens donning chef’s whites.
Using her access to the world’s hotspots as a stepping-stone, she pursued her education at Le Cordon Bleu in Italy and The French Culinary Institute in New York. Her travels through food and fashion capitals like Paris, London, New York City, and Los Angeles inspire her baking to this day.
With experience at Thomas Keller’s Bouchon Bakery and Jean-Georges Vongerichten’s Spice Market, she honed the skills to thrive in her second career. In 2012, Clarice launched The Baking Bean, an oven-to-door bakery specializing in all-natural desserts and confections based in Brooklyn, NY.
Focusing on seasonality and using only the highest-quality ingredients from around the world, Chef Lam provides one-of-a-kind pastries and desserts, including Giant S’mores, Samoan Caramel Popcorn, Salted Caramel Rice Krispy Brownies, Strawberry Nutella Cookies, and much more.
With original and pure flavor combinations that The New York Times calls “high-quality and handsome,” The Baking Bean can be found year-round in local pop-up markets and in various NYC restaurants, museums, and stores.
In this episode, you’ll discover:
- How Clarice nurtured her love of pastry while working as an international model
- The accident that threatened to derail her baking career
- How she overcame adversity by sheer determination and grit
- Building a foundation for her second career at Le Cordon Bleu and the French Culinary Institute
- Honing her skills at top restaurants and bakeries
- Working as Head Chef at The Chocolate Room in Brooklyn
- How Clarice made the gradual transition from part-time entrepreneur to a full-time business owner
- And lots more!
Listen & subscribe to Pastry Arts Podcast on:
This episode is sponsored by:
Savencia Cheese USA: Creator of the revolutionary new Smithfield Pourable Cream Cheese. Created for chefs, by chefs, the pourable cream cheese eliminates the need to heat, bring to room temperature or paddle and is made with all-natural ingredients, no additives or fillers and whips beautifully to save you time. It’s time to rethink cream cheese. Find out more at: https://savenciafoodserviceusa.com/foodservice/domestic-foodservice/pourable-cream-cheese.html