(This recipe appeared in the Fall 2019 issue of Pastry Arts Magazine)
Yield: about 60 cream puffs
54% Dark Milk Chocolate Ganache
- 464 g heavy cream
- 397 g TCHO 54% Dark Milk Chocolate Discs, roughly chopped
- Heat cream to 190˚F – you should see a slight skin form on the surface.
- Pour cream over chopped chocolate in a heatproof bowl and let sit for 1 to 2 minutes to let the chocolate melt.
- Whisk the mixture until emulsified and let cool at room temperature.
Dark Milk Chocolate Pastry Cream
- 255 g granulated sugar
- 71 g Elsay pastry cream powder
- 946 ml half ‘n half
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split and scraped
- 57 g egg yolks
- 57 g whole eggs
- 42 g unsalted butter
- 54% Dark Milk Chocolate Ganache (from above)
- Combine sugar and Elsay powder; set aside.
- In a saucepan, heat half ‘n half and vanilla bean to 190˚F. When the liquid is close to temperature, slowly whisk the sugar mixture into the eggs and egg yolks.
- Use half of the liquid to temper the eggs by slowly pouring a stream of the hot liquid into the eggs while whisking constantly. Whisk the egg mixture back into the saucepan with the remaining milk and cook on medium heat, whisking constantly until mixture thickens. Remove from heat immediately and pour into a new bowl. Add butter and whisk to emulsify. Cover with plastic wrap touching the pastry cream and let cool.
- Add enough ganache to the pastry cream to achieve desired chocolatey-ness. (Reserve some ganache for dipping the cream puffs.)
- 470 g water
- 484 g whole milk
- 20 g salt
- 500 g unsalted butter
- 600 g all-purpose flour
- 16 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 400˚F. Line a sheet pan with a silicone mat or parchment paper.
- Heat water, milk, salt, and butter in a large saucepan on medium heat until salt dissolves and butter is melted. Don’t let the mixture boil – you don’t want too much of the liquid to evaporate.
- Add the flour and mix thoroughly with a wooden spoon or spatula until smooth. Constantly stir the mixture over medium heat until a skin forms at the bottom of the pan.
- Transfer the dough to a standing mixer with a paddle attachment. Mix on the lowest setting for a few minutes until you can no longer see steam rising off the dough. While mixing on medium-low speed, add one egg at a time until smooth and fully incorporated. (Note:You may need a little more or a little less egg depending on the moisture levels of your dough. Scrape the bowl and insert the paddle attachment into the center of the dough and pull up, the dough should form a “V” and should be fairly elastic – it shouldn’t tear).
- Using a piping bag fitted with a round tip, pipe the dough onto the prepared sheet pan about 3/4″ wide and 3/4″ tall for bite-size pieces. Bake until puffed up and golden brown, about 25 minutes. Let cool.
- Reserved 54% Dark Milk Chocolate Ganache
- TCHO Roasted Cacao Nibs
- Using a small star pastry tip, poke holes into the bottom of the puffs.
- Using the same tip, fill each puff with the Dark Milk Chocolate Pastry Cream until full. Warm ganache up until melted. Dip the tops of each puff in the ganache and sprinkle with cacao nibs. Let set and serve.
You must be logged in to post a comment.