(This article appeared in the Summer 2020 issue of Pastry Arts Magazine)
When I thought of this dessert, I imagined a late lunch on a hot summer Sunday, so I wanted to create a substantial dessert, but with a freshness to balance the summer heat. When you taste the Mascarpone and Citrus Chantilly Cream at the end, you will have a fresh taste and flavor on your palate. Finally, I included Semi-candied Cherries to remember the season! I always like to use seasonal fruit.
Yield: 24 servings
Cornflour Shortcrust Pastry:
- 250 g unsalted butter, 82%, creamy (64˚F/18˚C)
- 3 g fine salt
- 2 g vanilla powder
- 400 g pastry flour
- 90 g fine corn flour
- 200 g confectioners’ sugar
- 60 g whole eggs
- Knead all ingredients together into a firm, compact dough.
- Roll dough out to a thickness of 2 mm, then chill.
- Cut out a hollow square smaller than the size of the cake.
Mascarpone and Citrus Chantilly Cream:
- 1000 g heavy cream, 35%
- 165 g maple syrup, grade C
- 15 g finely grated orange zest
- 400 g mascarpone cheese, 42% fat
Combine all ingredients and whip to a creamy consistency. Use immediately.
Corn and Almond Crumbs:
- 260 g almond powder
- 275 g granulated sugar
- 180 g pastry flour
- 2 g vanilla bean
- 320 g unsalted butter, 82%
- 3 g fleur de sel
- 100 g fine corn flour
- In an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix all ingredients into a crumbly dough. Lightly press into square ring molds (1/2”/1.5 cm high).
- Bake in a convection oven at 300˚F (150˚C) with valve open for about 25 minutes. Remove ring before the crumbs base is completely cold.
- 1000 g frozen pitted cherries
- 165 g granulated sugar
- 20 g lemon juice
- Place all ingredients in a 99% vacuum bag. Refrigerate for 24 hours.
- Drain and use.
- Yellow cocoa butter
- Fresh cherries, for garnish
- Pipe the chantilly cream onto a silicone mat with a ½” (14 mm) nozzle. Place a Semi-candied Cherry in the middle, cover with the baked crumbs base and press lightly. Shock freeze. Turn over, remove the silicone mat and spray with yellow cocoa butter.
- Decorate with the 2 mm-thick hollow square frame of Cornflour Shortcrust Pastry, a fresh cherry, and your logo on a corner.