(This recipe appeared in the Summer 2019 issue of Pastry Arts Magazine)
This dessert is an interesting twist on a strawberry shortcake – I love the simplicity of many classic desserts and really enjoy the challenge of recreating them.
Yield: 15 servings
Strawberry Sugar Coating
- 260 g granulated sugar
- 15 g confectioners’ sugar
- 45 g freeze-dried strawberries
- 2 g citric acid
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor and blend until homogenous and without lumps. Store in airtight container (preferably vacuum pack bags).
- 325 g whole milk
- 60 g granulated sugar
- 5.5 g salt
- 150 g unsalted butter
- 245 g all-purpose flour
- 200 g whole eggs
- In a saucepan, combine the milk, sugar, salt, and butter and bring just to a simmer.
- Whisk in the flour. Continue stirring on medium heat until film forms on the bottom of saucepan, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to a 5-quart mixer fitted with paddle attachment and mix just to cool. When steam is no longer present, slowly add the eggs while scraping down the sides of the bowl. Mix until smooth and transfer to a piping bag fitted with desired piping tip.
- Pipe batter directly into 350°F cooking oil (or pipe desired shapes and freeze to be deep fried later). Remove when deep golden brown, and immediately coat in Strawberry Sugar Coating.
Vanilla Panna Cotta
- 9 g gelatin sheets
- 40 g water
- 128 g whole milk
- 600 g heavy cream
- 77 g granulated sugar
- 150 g sour cream
- 15 g vanilla bean paste
- 8 g lemon juice
- Bloom gelatin in water.
- Warm milk, heavy cream, and sugar together.
- Melt gelatin-water mixture in warm milk mixture.
- Blend in sour cream, followed by vanilla paste and lemon juice.
- Cast directly into serving dishes and allow to set fully.
Salty White Chocolate Ice Cream
- 50 g nonfat milk powder
- 565 g whole milk
- 2 lemons
- 70 g granulated sugar
- 45 g powdered glucose
- 4.5 g ice cream stabilizer
- 30 g egg yolks
- 175 g heavy cream
- 85 g Guittard Crème Francais 31%
- 2 g salt
- In a saucepan, dissolve the milk powder into the whole milk very well with a whisk.
- Zest the lemons directly into the saucepan.
- Combine the sugar, powdered glucose and stabilizer and mix into milk. Add egg yolks and heavy cream. Cook mixture to 165°F to pasteurize. Strain and cool down, then process.
Elderflower Fluid Gel
- 300 g elderflower liqueur
- 50 g water
- 50 g lemon juice
- 60 g granulated sugar
- 2.8 g agar agar
- Combine liquids in a saucepan.
- Combine dry ingredients and rain into saucepan while whisking. Bring mixture to a boil for approximately 2 minutes (full boil) while whisking. Place over ice bath and blend with immersion blender as mixture starts to gel. Allow mixture to gel further, and blend once more when completely cool. Store until needed.
- 30 g granulated sugar
- 1 g NH pectin
- 200 g strawberry puree
- 1 g citric acid
- 60 g raspberry puree
- 5 g lemon juice
- Blend everything together.
- Strain to remove strawberry seeds.
- 200 g granulated sugar
- 90 g water
- 400 g fresh strawberries, quartered
- Combine sugar and water and cook to 248˚F (soft ball stage). Remove from heat and add strawberries; stir well. Cool and store until needed.
- Fresh strawberries
- Freeze-dried strawberries
- Panna cotta is best cast into a bowl, but can be cast into a pastry ring wrapped in plastic wrap and then released onto the plate.
- Style remaining ingredients as desired, and include lots of fresh strawberries, as this will also provide a place for the ice cream to be placed. Place additional freeze-dried strawberries into fresh strawberry mixture for added texture.