(This article appeared in the Spring 2020 issue of Pastry Arts Magazine)
Sponsored by: Savencia Cheese USA
Yield: about 3 kg
- 250 g heavy cream
- 1250 g whole milk
- 300 g whole eggs
- 595 g granulated sugar
- 7 g vanilla extract
- 683 g Smithfield Pourable Cream Cheese
- In a saucepan, heat the heavy cream and milk to 170˚F (77˚C).
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar and vanilla until blended.
- Once the cream mixture is at temperature, temper it into the egg mixture. Return the mixture to the heat and bring to 175˚F (79˚C), until it is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon (anglaise stage). Strain through a chinois and refrigerate until chilled.
- When you are ready to process ice cream, combine the base with the Smithfield Pourable Cream Cheese and process in ice cream machine.