Yield: Ten 4” galettes
Farm.One Ingredients: Purple Oxalis Triangularis and Yellow Marigolds.
Grape and Oxalis Jam
- 1000 g black seedless grapes
- 100 g granulated sugar
- 15 g (about 24 flowers) purple oxalis triangularis flowers (not stems)
1. Cut grapes into quarters. Place in a wide saucepan with sugar, stir with heat resistant spatula and cook over medium heat for about 20 minutes until the jam reaches 217˚F. Remove from heat.
2. Finely chiffonade the oxalyis petals. Stir the petals into the jam. Cool in an ice water bath. Before filling the galettes, drain off any of the juice from the jam; reserve as sauce for plating.
Marigold Ice Milk
- 240 g milk
- 18 g petals from (about 9) yellow marigold flowers
- 130 g granulated sugar
- 25 g glucose powder
- 225 g heavy cream
- 1 g vanilla bean paste
- 1.5 g fine sea salt
1. Bring milk to a boil in a saucepan. At boil, add the flowers, turn off heat and steep for 6 minutes.
2. Cool, then blend 1 minute with Vita Prep blender on high speed. Strain into another saucepan, pressing firmly with a spatula to extract all the infusion. Whisk in sugar, glucose powder, and cream and bring back to a boil. Immersion blend in vanilla bean paste and salt, cool and refrigerate for 24 hours.
3. Process in batch freezer. Quenelle when set.
- 90 g egg yolks
- 30 g cold sour cream
- 300 g all purpose flour
- 15 g confectioners’ sugar
- 3 g fine sea salt
- 225 g cold unsalted butter
- 1 egg (for egg wash)
- 5 g water
- 0.5 g salt
- 10 g granulated sugar
1. Whisk the egg yolks well in a bowl, then whisk in the sour cream and refrigerate.
2. Place flour, confectioners’ sugar and salt in bowl of mixer with a paddle. Cut the butter into 1 ½” cubes. Cut with paddle until the cubes of butter are ½”. Add cold liquid all at once and mix until just combined. Pat into a disk, wrap the dough in plastic wrap in a disk and refrigerate 1 hour.
3. Roll on lightly floured surface into ten 6” diameter disks.
4. Whisk the egg for the egg wash with water and salt. Brush on each of the ten circles. Divide the oxalis jam evenly in the center, and fold dough over the filling to form the galettes. Sprinkle lightly with the granulated sugar. Place on silicon lined sheet pan in pre-heated 375°F oven and bake for 12 minutes.
- 4 oxalis flowers
- 100 g granulated sugar
- 20 g water
- 20 g glucose syrup
1. Cut oxalis into very fine chiffonade.
2. Completely crinkle up a piece of parchment. Unfold. Place sugar, water and glucose syrup in a clean saucepan, stirring minimally with a heat resistant spatula. Cook to 320°F and pour into the center of each of the pieces of parchment, and shake the sugar syrup evenly over the paper. Quickly sprinkle the oxalis on the sugar. Let cool, then carefully peel off the back of the parchment and break into pieces as desired for the garnish.
- Fresh yellow marigolds for garnish
1. Brush the reserved grape-oxalyis syrup on the plate. Place the galette as desired, top with the quenelle of marigold ice milk, a piece of the oxalis-sugar garnish, and fresh yellow marigold flower petals.