(This article appeared in the Summer 2019 issue of Pastry Arts Magazine)
Yield: 24 tarts
Vanilla Pastry Cream
2 vanilla pods
65 g granulated sugar
1 lt whole milk
8 large egg yolks
60 g cornstarch
- Cut the vanilla pods in half and scrape out the seeds. Take a spoonful of the sugar and mash it together so that the seeds do not lump together.
- Combine the milk, vanilla seeds and vanilla pods in pot and bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile, whip the egg yolks and the rest of the sugar until it is light, fluffy and white. Fold the cornstarch into the yolks.
- When the milk is at a boil, add it to the yolks while whipping. Pour it back in the saucepot and boil for about 1 minute or until you are satisfied with the consistency. (It burns easily at this stage so keep stirring.) Pass it through a sieve. Cool down for 24 hours.
Basic Sable Dough
750 g all-purpose flour
250 g confectioners’ sugar
3 g baking powder
500 g unsalted butter
75 g whole eggs
- Sift the flour and confectioners’ sugar together.
- Put confectioners’ sugar, flour, baking powder in a mixer and mix together. Add the butter and mix together. Add the eggs a little at a time, but be careful not to mix the dough too much.
- Roll dough out so it is about 3 mm thick. Cut out the dough with a ring that is 8 cm in diameter (3.15 inches). Put on a tray with a baking sheet underneath.
250 g almond paste
100 g sugar
40 g pasteurized egg whites (approximately)
- Mix almond paste and sugar together. Add egg whites until the mass has the right consistency.
- Pipe the almond around the edge of the dough circles. With a knife or fork, poke little holes in the middle so it does not bubble up. Bake for about 11 minutes at 392°F (200°C). Cool down.
5-6 gelatin sheets
500 g water
- Bloom gelatin in cold water.
- Bring water to a boil. Melt gelatin in water. Set aside until needed.
Sablé Almond Crust
200 g dark chocolate
175 g heavy cream
250 g vanilla pastry cream
50 g pistachios, roughly chopped
Basic Gelée (above)
- Melt the dark chocolate.
- Using a small brush, brush the chocolate inside the almond circle on the crust, be careful not to brush onto the almond side. Set aside to harden.
- Whip the heavy cream until it forms medium to stiff peaks. Fold the whipped cream into the cold vanilla cream. Pipe the vanilla cream onto the crust.
- Decorate the tart with the raspberries. Brush the berries with the gelée. Sprinkle the pistachios on top.