(This recipe appeared in the Summer 2022 issue of Pastry Arts Magazine)
Lead Chef, Gourmet Brands USA
World Pastry Champion 2008
I wanted to create a plant-based filled sablé, which is traditionally a very indulgent treat. The idea is for the experience to be indulgent while also being health conscious. A small amount of ganache is needed on the sablé in order for the enrobing to adhere. Omitting the ganache will cause the enrobing to peel off the sablé.
Yield: 30 pieces
- 227 g pastry flour
- 83 g American Almond hazelnut flour
- 2 g salt
- 127 g coconut oil
- 67 g water
- 80 g confectioners’ sugar
- 33 g Extra Brute cocoa powder
- Sift the dry ingredients together.
- Mix the dry ingredients with a paddle attachment while adding the coconut oil and water. Mix until a uniform dough forms.
- Roll dough out between 2 sheets of parchment paper to a thickness of 3 mm. Cut out two 7.8ʺ x 11.8ʺ (20 x 30 cm) rectangles from the dough and place them on a sheet pan that is lined with a silicone baking mat. Bake at 320˚F (160˚C) for 20 minutes.
WholeFruit Chocolate Hazelnut Spread
- 350 g American Almond whole hazelnuts
- 150 g turbinado sugar
- 2 g Nielsen Massey vanilla beans, split
- 3.85 g fleur de sel
- 128 g Evocao™ WholeFruit Chocolate, tempered
- 85 g coconut oil
- Roast the whole hazelnuts at 320˚F (160˚C) for 20 minutes.
- Caramelize the turbinado sugar to 365˚F (185˚C). Pour the caramel over the split vanilla beans and fleur de sel. Cool completely.
- Once cool, process the caramel and hazelnuts in a Robot Coupe. Once you’ve reached the desired thickness, add the tempered Evocao™ WholeFruit Chocolate and coconut oil. Temper and spread to 82˚F (28˚C). Cast over a sablé in a 7.8ʺ x 11.8ʺ x 0.6ʺ (20 x 30 x 1.5 cm) frame. Top with the second sablé.
WholeFruit Chocolate Plant-Based Ganache
- 87.5 g hazelnut milk
- 28.8 g glucose DE60
- 28.8 g inverted sugar
- 150 g Evocao™ WholeFruit Chocolate
- 12.5 g coconut oil
- 5 g deodorized cocoa butter
- In a saucepan, bring the hazelnut milk, glucose and inverted sugar to a boil. Cool down to 158˚F (70˚C).
- Slightly melt the Evocao™ WholeFruit Chocolate and coconut oil. Pour the hazelnut milk mixture over the chocolate and emulsify. Add the cocoa butter and emulsify once more. Spread over the sablé.
- Evocao™ WholeFruit Chocolate, tempered
- Cut into desired shapes. Dip into Evocao™ WholeFruit Chocolate.
- Emboss with a cold stamp.