(This recipe appeared in the Summer 2022 issue of Pastry Arts Magazine)
The Chocolate Citrus Cake was inspired by the seasonal citrus from Austin, Texas. I use oranges from local farmers that are ripe and sweet, and pair them with a dark chocolate so that the orange flavor stands out. I also wanted to add a touch of savory, which is where the hickory smoked sea salt comes into play.
Yield: 24 servings
- 126 g canola oil
- 126 g Valrhona Guanaja chocolate 70%
- 282 g egg yolks
- 282 g egg whites
- 275 g granulated sugar
- 55 g all-purpose flour
- 55 g cornstarch
- Place oil and chocolate over double boiler to melt. Emulsify, then set aside.
- Whip egg yolks to ribbon stage.
- Whip egg whites and sugar to medium peaks. Fold into whipped yolks. Fold egg mixture into chocolate in 3 stages.
- Sift the dry ingredients together and fold into the chocolate mixture. Spread batter in sheet pan and bake at 350˚F (177˚C) until done.
Guanaja Citrus Mousse
- 476 g Valrhona Guanaja chocolate 70%
- 280 g egg yolks
- Finely grated zest of 1 orange
- 196 g granulated sugar
- 896 g heavy cream
- Melt the chocolate.
- Whip the egg yolks and orange zest to the ribbon stage.
- Cook the sugar with some water to 240⁰F (115˚C), then pour slowly into yolks. Mix until cooled.
- Slowly fold the yolk mixture into the chocolate in 6 stages.
- Whip the cream to soft peaks; fold into yolk mixture slowly.
- Pipe into 24 individual molds. Cut cake in rectangles and place on top of mousse. Freeze.
Chocolate-Coated Puffed Rice
- 225 g milk chocolate
- 75 g cocoa butter
- 185 g puffed rice
- Melt the chocolate and the cocoa butter together.
- Add the puffed rice and stir until coated. Separate on lined sheet pan and allow to set at room temperature.
- Store in airtight container.
Dark Chocolate Spray
- 350 g dark chocolate
- 150 g cocoa
- 387 g orange concentrate
- 113 g orange juice
- 5 g agar agar
- 89 g granulated sugar
- Bring concentrate, juice, agar agar and sugar to a boil. Pour into pan and refrigerate until set.
- Process in blender until creamy and smooth.
- 95 g orange juice
- 12 g water
- 8 g granulated sugar
- 2.5 g Versa Whip
- 1.5 g xanthan gum
- Whisk all ingredients in mixer until light and fluffy.
Hickory-Smoked Sea Salted Chocolate Caramel
- 375 g heavy cream
- 282 g granulated sugar
- 38 g trimoline
- 263 g liquid glucose
- 15 g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 150 g Valrhona Guanaja 70%
- 75g cocoa mass
- 8 g hickory smoked sea salt
- Cook cream, sugar, trimoline and glucose to 235˚F (113˚C).
- Add the butter and cook to 244˚F (118˚C). Add the chocolate and cocoa mass. Pour onto silicone baking mat-lined ¼ sheet pan with frame. Allow to set overnight.
- Cut into 0.6ʺ (1 cm) strips, lightly torch and sprinkle with hickory-smoked sea salt.
- Using a clean, hot knife, cut into 0.6ʺ (1 cm) squares.
- Fresh orange segments, diced
- Dulcey chocolate curl, for garnish
- Dark chocolate round, for garnish
- Unmold frozen mousse desserts and spray with Chocolate Spray.
- Place Chocolate Mousse in center of plate; add diced orange segments to top. Pipe Orange Foam around mousse, then spoon puffed rice alongside dessert. Pipe Orange Gel organically around dessert. Place room temperature chocolate caramel on plate. Garnish with Dulcey chocolate curl and dark chocolate round.
About Angel Castillo
Angel Castillo is the Executive Pastry Chef of the Hyatt Regency Scottsdale Resort & Spa in Scottsdale, Arizona. She enjoys combining taste combinations, textures, and colors to create an exciting and unique dessert experience that keeps guests wanting more with each bite.
You must be logged in to post a comment.