(This recipe appeared in the Summer 2022 issue of Pastry Arts Magazine)
This entremet combines classic flavors with a variety of textures. I love the richness and nuttiness of the hazelnut praliné, the contrasting smoothness of the milk chocolate ganache and the fluffiness of the financiers. The entremet is finished off with a shiny cocoa mirror glaze and dipped in a sublime caramel-chocolate glaçage gourmand. making it super gourmand, and the perfect indulgent dessert.
Yield: 6 servings
Whipped Milk Chocolate Ganache
- 225 g double cream, divided
- 10.5 g gelatin mass (1.5 g 200-bloom powdered gelatin mixed with 9 g water)
- 75 g Callebaut milk chocolate 33.6%
- Heat 125 g of the cream in a pan over medium heat. When the cream starts to simmer, remove from the heat, add the gelatin mass and mix until dissolved.
- Pour the hot cream over the chocolate and mix until the chocolate is melted and well combined. Pour over the remaining 100 g cream and mix until everything is combined. Cover the surface with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for a minimum of 6 hours.
- 100 g hazelnuts with skins
- 100 g hazelnuts without skins
- 150 g superfine granulated sugar
- 2 g fleur de sel
*Note: This recipe requires a total of 180 g of praliné. Store remaining praliné in a jar for another use.
- Spread the hazelnuts evenly on a large tray under a silicone mat and roast them at 338˚f (170˚C) for 15-17 minutes, then set aside to cool slightly.
- Make a dry caramel with the sugar.
- Pour the caramel over the hazelnuts and allow to cool before transferring it to the bowl of a food processor. Add the salt and process until the praliné has a runny consistency.
Cocoa Pâte Sucrée
- 45 g all-purpose flour
- 4 g almond flour
- 20 g confectioners’ sugar
- 5 g cocoa powder
- Pinch of salt
- 30 g unsalted butter, chilled and cut into cubes
- 10 g whole egg
- In a stand mixer, mix together the flours, confectioners’ sugar, cocoa powder and salt. Add the butter cubes and mix with the paddle attachment on low speed until you have a crumbly mixture. Add the egg and continue mixing until a smooth dough forms. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and chill for at least 2 hours.
- Once chilled, roll the dough out to 2 mm thickness, then use the outside of Silikomart Fashion Eclair 80 mold set cutter to cut out 6 pieces, then transfer to a perforated mat. Chill for another 30 minutes.
- Place another perforated mat on top of the short crust and bake for about 12 minutes at 329˚F (165˚C).
- 38 g beurre noisette
- 33 g almond flour
- 5 g hazelnut flour
- 15 g all-purpose flour
- 45 g confectioners’ sugar
- 53 g egg white
- Make the buerre noisette and set aside to cool slightly.
- In a bowl, combine all the flours, confectioners’ sugar and egg white and mix well. Add the beurre noisette and mix well. Spread into a small silicone lined tray and bake for 12 minutes at 356˚F (180˚C). Cool.
- Use the inside Silikomart cutter to cut out 6 pieces. Set aside until assembly.
- 250 g Callebaut Gold Caramel Chocolate 30.4%
- 37 g neutral oil
- 42 g chopped roasted hazelnuts
*This recipe requires a quantity to be deep enough for dipping the entremet in. Save remaining glaçage for another recipe.
- Melt the chocolate over a bain-marie. Remove from the heat and use a rubber spatula to mix in the oil. Add the hazelnuts.
- Use at 93˚F (34˚C).
- 150 g glucose syrup
- 150 g superfine granulated sugar
- 100 g double cream
- 50 g water
- 72 g gelatin mass (10 g 200-bloom powdered gelatin mixed with 62 g water)
- 50 g 100% cocoa powder
- In a saucepan, bring the glucose syrup, sugar, double cream and water to a boil over medium heat. As the mixture is about to reach the boiling point, remove from the heat, add the gelatin and mix until dissolved
- Sift the cocoa powder into a pitcher, then pour the mixture over the cocoa powder and use a hand blender to blend, being careful not to create too many air bubbles. Cover the surface with plastic wrap. Use the glaze at around 95˚F (35˚C).
- A handful of roasted hazelnuts and hazelnut skins
- Gold leaf
- Lightly whip the milk chocolate ganache until it has a stable consistency, but is spreadable. Transfer to a pastry bag and pipe into the Silikomart Fashion Eclair mold, then use a small spatula to coat the sides . Pipe about 30 g of Hazelnut Praliné in the mold. Place the financier on top, then pipe some more ganache into the sides and top and use the spatula to coat and make smooth. Freeze overnight.
- Unmold the entremets and place them on a wire rack ready. Freeze while you make the glaze and glaçage.
- Bring the mirror glaze to 95˚F (35˚C) and transfer to a pastry bag. Put the Glaçage Gourmand into a container that is deep enough for dipping. Take the entremets out of the freezer and place the wire rack over a baking tray. Pipe the mirror glaze over the entremets, then place two sticks on either side of the entremet and carefully lift it and dip the bottom into the Glaçage Gourmand before placing it onto the pâte sucrée bases. Remove the sticks and decorate with the hazelnuts, hazelnut skins and gold leaf.
About Nour Kandler
Nour Kandler is a pastry chef in London, England. Her signature style is delicate, elegant, and colorful. She decorates her pâtisserie in a way where every element used in the recipe is reflected in the garnish. Likewise, she likes combining classic flavors with unusual ones, as well as creating innovative Middle Eastern-French fusions.