The beauty of this dessert comes from the shape and colors. The acidity and flavor intensity of blueberry cuts through the sweetness of caramelized white chocolate, while the wheat puff crunch adds another dimension of a crispy texture, bringing all the elements together.
Yield: 12 petit gateaux
- 185 g all-purpose flour
- 10 g baking powder
- Pinch of fleur de sel
- 4 large eggs
- 130 g superfine granulated sugar
- 65 g orange blossom honey
- 170 g unsalted butter, melted
- 5 g grated orange zest
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt together.
- Put eggs, sugar and honey in a bowl of the stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment and whip to the ribbon stage. Fold in the sifted flour. Fold in the melted butter and orange zest. Spread onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake at 356˚F (180˚C) for about 15 minutes. Cool and cut into shapes to fit inside the silicone molds. Freeze.
- 40 g superfine granulated sugar, divided
- 3 g NH pectin
- 165 g blueberry puree
- Mix 10 g of the sugar with the NH pectin.
- Heat the puree and the rest of the sugar, then gradually add the pectin and sugar mixture while whisking continuously. Bring to a boil and remove from heat. Mix with a hand blender and pour into the silicone inserts, which are smaller than the final assembly molds. Freeze.
Caramel Wheat Puffs
- 55 g unsalted butter
- 100 g brown sugar
- 30 g liquid glucose
- Pinch of fleur de sel
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- 100 g wheat puffs
- Heat butter in a pan until melted. Stir in sugar, glucose and salt. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil, without stirring, for 4 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in baking soda and vanilla extract. Pour in a thin stream over wheat puffs, stirring to coat.
- Place in a large shallow baking dish and bake at 212˚F (100˚C) in a preheated oven for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let it cool completely before separating into pieces.
Wheat Puff Crunch
- 70 g caramelized white chocolate
- 25 g cocoa butter
- 200 g Caramel Wheat Puffs (from above)
- Melt the chocolate and cocoa butter separately and then mix together.
- Add the Caramel Wheat Puffs and immediately pour into rings to form the base of the dessert. Refrigerate until firm, then remove the rings.
- 4 g powdered gelatin
- 2 large egg yolks
- 15 g superfine granulated sugar
- 10 g cornstarch
- 150 g whole milk, scalding
- 150 g caramelized white chocolate
- 350 g heavy cream 35%, softly whipped
- Soften the gelatin powder in 20 g cold water.
- Whip the egg yolks, sugar and cornstarch well. Add the boiled milk and mix well. Transfer to a saucepan and bring to a boil, whisking continuously. Remove from heat, add gelatin mix and pour over the chocolate. Stir until well mixed, using hand blender to mix properly.
- Cool to 95˚F (35˚C) and fold in the whipped cream. Use immediately.
- 10 g powdered gelatin
- 200 g water, divided
- 125 g superfine granulated sugar
- 150 g liquid glucose
- 10 g milk powder
- 125 g condensed milk
- 125 g caramelized white chocolate
- 25 g milk chocolate
- Soften the gelatin powder in 50 g cold water. Heat remaining 150 g water with the sugar, glucose and milk powder and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and add the condensed milk and gelatin mixture. Pour over the caramelized white chocolate and milk chocolate, stirring well. Again, mix well with hand blender. Cover with cling film and refrigerate overnight. Use at 82˚F (28˚C).
- Chocolate décor
- Caramelized white chocolate
- Pour the Chocolate Mousse halfway into the silicone mold. Place the frozen blueberry compote on top, and cover with more mousse. Finish with the honey sponge and freeze.
- Remove from the mold and glaze. Carefully lift with an angled spatula and put on top of the wheat puff crunch.
- Garnish, as desired, with chocolate decoration. Grate caramelized white chocolate on top with a microplane.