(This recipe appeared in the Summer 2021 issue of Pastry Arts Magazine)
Living in the Bahamas, it is customary to have at least one fruit tree in your yard. Thus, guavas became one of my favorite tropical fruits. I have also always loved a good cream cheese danish. One day while baking, I thought maybe I could marry the two flavors together, and instantly I fell in love. This delicious Bahamian Guava Cream Cheese Swirl Danish with Guava Bourbon Glaze has become the most sought-after pastry in my bakery.
Yield: 12 rolls
- 118 ml whole milk, warm
- 118 ml water, warm
- 113 g granulated sugar
- 10.63 g active dry yeast
- 113 g unsalted butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 680 g bread flour
- 227 g all-purpose flour
- 4.7 g salt
- In a small bowl, combine lukewarm whole milk, water, sugar and yeast. Stir gently and set aside for 5-10 minutes, until the mixture begins to look foamy.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, add both flours and salt and mix until combined.
- Add the eggs and butter to the yeast mixture and stir until fully incorporated. Pour the yeast mixture over the flour mixture and mix until a soft dough begins to form.
- Lightly oil a large bowl and transfer the dough to it, rolling it around to coat it completely. Cover the bowl with a damp towel and let the dough rise until doubled in size, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- 454 g fresh or canned guava shells in syrup (drain syrup and set aside)
- 28 g cornstarch
- 9.3 g ground cinnamon
- 2.8 g salt
- After draining the guava shells, dice into small pieces.
- In a small pot over medium heat, combine the diced guava, reserved syrup, cornstarch, cinnamon and salt. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Pour the filling into a bowl and purée with an immersion blender. Place puréed guava into the refrigerator to cool until ready to use.
Cream Cheese Filling
- 454 g cream cheese, softened
- 227 g granulated sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
- 14.7 ml vanilla extract
- Beat the cream cheese, sugar, egg yolks and vanilla extract on medium-low speed until combined. Scrape bottom and sides of the bowl. Increase speed to medium-high and beat until completely smooth. Place cream cheese filling into a bowl until ready to use.
- 113 g unsalted butter, softened
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll out dough into a 19 x 13–inch rectangle. Spread an even layer of softened butter onto dough. Beginning at one long side, roll up dough tightly like a jellyroll; gently pinch the seam down to seal. Trim the ends for even slices, and cut dough into 10-12 slices.
- Arrange the rolls in a lightly greased 9 x 13-inch baking dish. Neatly spread Cream Cheese Filling onto rolls. Once all of the rolls have been dolloped with the cream cheese, place guava filling on top of the cream cheese and swirl through with a toothpick.
- Place into a proof box or cover with the damp towel and allow to rise for a further 30 minutes. Dough should be double in size.
- Preheat oven to 300˚F (149˚C). Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Prepare Guava Bourbon Glaze while rolls are baking.
Guava Bourbon Glaze
- 227 g cream cheese, softened
- 118 ml guava syrup
- 59 ml bourbon
- 397 g confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- Combine softened cream cheese, guava syrup, and bourbon until smooth and creamy. Beat in the confectioners’ sugar until lump free. If you prefer a thicker icing, add more confectioners’ sugar (1 Tbs at a time). If you prefer it to be thinner, add more syrup (1 tsp at a time).
- Place Guava Bourbon Glaze into a squeeze bottle. Drizzle icing over rolls horizontally while still in the pan.
About Chanté Basden
Chef Chante is the Executive Pastry Chef and CEO of Abaco, Bahamas’ Bahamas Tastiest Bakery. Deborah Basden taught her everything she knew about baking. Chef Chante’s signature pastry style is clean, simple, and delicious, without being overly-processed.