(This recipe appeared in the Fall 2019 issue of Pastry Arts Magazine)
Perfect for fall menus, the Apple Cider Baba Pop is a unique, sophisticated, and flavorful representation of gourmet pastry on the go. Featuring the wholesome flavor of sweet baked apples as captured in PreGel’s Apple Pie Arabeschi®, the accompanying flavors of meringue, apple brandy, and cookie butter combine to produce a robust medley of pastry excellence – on a stick.
Yield: 30 servings
- 10 g instant dry yeast, osmotolerant
- 200 g water, 86°F (30°C)
- 312 g whole eggs, room temperature
- 250 g all-purpose flour
- 250 g bread flour
- 10 g salt
- 50 g granulated sugar
- 150 g clarified butter, melted but cool
- 25 g PreGel Cinnamon Traditional Paste (#58472)
- Dissolve the yeast in the water.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the whole eggs with the yeast and water.
- Combine the flours, salt, and sugar, and add to the mixer bowl with the yeast mixture. Using the paddle attachment, mix the dough on low speed for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the dough is completely smooth. Slowly incorporate the melted clarified butter and the PreGel Cinnamon Traditional Paste into the dough and mix again until very smooth, 2 to 3 minutes or more.
- Pipe the dough into the mold and allow the dough to proof in a warm location for 30 minutes.
- Bake the babas for 12-17 minutes, depending on size, until they are golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow the babas to cool completely before soaking.
- Trim the bottoms of the babas and allow them to soak in the syrup (recipe below) for at least 10 minutes.
- Allow excess soak to drip off, and then place on a sheet pan and freeze.
Spiked Cider Soak
- 5 g powdered gelatin (200 bloom)
- 35 g cold water
- 300 g water
- 125 g granulated sugar
- 120 g apple cider
- 30 g PreGel Green Apple Fortefrutto® (#45172)
- 20 g PreGel Cinnamon Traditional Paste (#58472)
- 75 g apple brandy
- Hydrate gelatin with the cold water.
- Heat water, sugar, apple cider, PreGel Green Apple Fortefrutto®, and PreGel Cinnamon Traditional Paste; pour over apple brandy and add hydrated gelatin.
- Dip babas at 140˚F (60°C).
- 24 g Valrhona Ariaga Blanche 30% white chocolate couverture
- 12 g Valrhona Cocoa Butter, melted
- 135 g PreGel CrumbOlé Otto Caramel (Cookie Butter, #65552)
- Melt the white chocolate and cocoa butter together.
- Combine with the PreGel CrumbOlé Otto Caramel (Cookie Butter) in a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment for 1-2 minutes.
- Roll the streusel between two Silpats until it is about 2 mm thick. Allow the streusel to chill before cutting disks out.
- 300 g granulated sugar
- 250 g water
- 125 g PreGel Five Star Chef Albumissimo (Meringue Powder, #71904)
- In a mixer fitted with the whip attachment, combine the sugar and water. Whip together to dissolve sugar.
- Add PreGel Five Star Chef Albumissimo (Meringue Powder) to mixer and whisk by hand to dissolve powder. Whip on medium-high to high speed until mixture reaches full volume.
- PreGel Five Star Chef Pâte à Glacer Blanc (White Chocolate Flavored Coating, #35112)
- PreGel Apple Pie Arabeschi®
- Soak the babas and drain completely.
- Stick the streusel disk onto the baba with some of the PreGel Five Star Chef Pâte à Glacer Blanc (White Chocolate Flavored Coating, #35112).
- Fill the center of the Baba with PreGel Apple Pie Arabeschi®.
- Dip a pop stick into PreGel Five Star Chef Pâte à Glacer Blanc and then insert it into the baba. Allow it to freeze completely before dipping the Baba into the Meringue and toasting slightly.