Fran Costigan, chef, cookbook author, and Director of Vegan Baking and Pastry at the Rouxbe Online Culinary School, is internationally renowned as the authority on vegan desserts. Professionally trained, Fran was a chef in both traditional and vegan pastry kitchens before moving into teaching over 25 years ago. Her unapologetically luscious confections lack nothing — except dairy, eggs, white sugar, and cholesterol. Fran’s vegan desserts are appropriate for everyone who loves dessert, whether or not dietary restrictions are an issue. The 90-day Essential Vegan Desserts Course that Fran developed and leads at Rouxbe, the world’s leading online cooking school, is based on her wildly popular Vegan Baking Boot Camp Intensive®. She is thrilled to welcome students of all skill levels, beginners to professionals, from around the globe to this unique in the world course.
Fran’s cookbook, Vegan Chocolate Dessert: Unapologetically Luscious and Decadent Dairy-Free Desserts, is available in German, French, and Italian editions and follows the classic More Great Good Dairy-Free Desserts. For more information and recipes, newsletter sign up, visit www.francostigan.com.
In this episode, we discuss:
- Fran’s career journey to becoming an expert in vegan baking and desserts
- Her scientific approach to developing vegan recipes
- Fran’s recommendations for egg substitutes
- How to determine which butter substitute to use for different recipes
- How Fran uses aquafaba
- Fran’s opinion of soy-based products
- What she thinks the next big trends in vegan desserts will be
- And much more!
Listen & subscribe to Pastry Arts Podcast on: