In this episode, we talk with Executive Pastry Chef Daniel Skurnick. After graduating from the Culinary Institute of America in Hyde Park, Daniel Skurnick spent a year in Thailand, living with a migratory hunter-gatherer tribe and learning their culture and cooking techniques. Once back in the U.S., he worked in the pastry departments at Gramercy Tavern, Bouley, and Jean-Georges in New York City and was executive pastry chef for both Morimoto NYC and Morimoto Waikiki. Today Skurnick serves as the Executive Pastry Chef of Buddakan and Le Coucou restaurants in New York.
In the episode we discuss:
- From living with a migratory tribe in Thailand to a career in pastry
- Learning from Claudia Fleming at Gramercy Tavern
- Working with Johnny Iuzzini at Jean-Georges and Nougatine
- Mastering Asian desserts with the Iron Chef at Morimoto
- Juggling high-volume Asian inspired desserts at Buddakan with French fine dining at Le Coucou
- Giving the commencement address at CIA
- And much more!