Widely known under the moniker @pastryschiff, Caroline is a celebrated pastry chef and culinary consultant based in Brooklyn. She got her start in the restaurant industry a decade ago cooking at The Good Fork, and worked her way up through a number of acclaimed restaurants and bakeries including Mas (la Grillade), Maysville NYC, Kenton’s NOLA, and Greene Grape Provisions before coming full circle to work with Sohui and Ben once again as Gage & Tollner’s Pastry Chef. Heralded as one of the “Most Badass Female Chefs in New York” by Thrillist, Caroline has been featured on Beat Bobby Flay, Cosmopolitan, Bon Appétit, Chopped, VICE Munchies and The Untitled Action Bronson Show. Caroline’s signature gravity-defying hairdo is outsized only by her enormous heart; in her spare time you can find her either supporting charitable causes or running a marathon.
In this episode, you’ll learn:
- How an out-of-control sweet tooth and a year in France convinced Caroline to pursue a career as a pastry chef
- How she turned an internship into a full-time job cooking on the line
- How she came by the moniker of being one of the “Most Badass Female Chefs in New York”
- How she landed the coveted position of Pastry Chef at the highly anticipated Gage & Tollner restaurant in Brooklyn, and what her plans are for the dessert menu
- About her involvement with Holy Apostles Soup Kitchen in New York, and the importance of giving back to the community
- How she deals with the stress of working long days in the kitchen
- And much more!
Listen & subscribe to Pastry Arts Podcast on: